Celebrating the Beautiful World of Traditional and Continuing Anglicanism
Monday, April 04, 2005
The Oxford American Prayer Book Commentary
This book, by Massey Hamilton Shepherd, is perhaps the ultimate book for the continuing Anglican churchman to own. It is a commentary on the 1928 BCP, and has insightful remarks about every part of the BCP. It is a fantastic historical and liturgical resource, and in that regard is useful for Anglicans and non-Anglicans alike. It has long been out of print, and, according to legend, Shepherd had the plates destroyed so it could not be reprinted. That was a dumb move. If it could be reprinted, whoever owned the rights would probably make lots of money off of it. I gave away my copy a few years ago, so recently I looked online for one. I found one for $100. Too much for a po' boy like myself. But thanks be to God, someone gave me a copy a few months back! If you do not have one of these, and you use the 1928 BCP, I highly recommend that you track one down. You will not be disappointed.