Friday, March 17, 2006

Spanish Deacon's Mass

I have been asked to do a deacon's mass ("Sunday Mass in Absence of a Priest", for all of you Roman Catholics out there) at a latino parish of ours. This involves learning to read the various parts of the liturgy decently, and having my sermon translated. Luckily, my wife speaks Spanish fluently, so she can help me out with my pronunciation, and also with translating my sermon for me as I give it. Tip of the biretta, by the way, to Fr. Erich Zwingert, SSC, for suggesting me. This will be my first, and probably last, deacon's mass, as my ordination to the sacred preisthood is fast approaching.

A continuing church bishop once told me that latino Anglicans were the strangest thing he had ever heard of in his life. But he was a rather cynical fellow. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with there being latino Anglicans. It would be like saying there is something wrong with being white, American, and Antiochian Orthodox. Sure, it might be a bit unusual, but it's not like the "church police" are going to come out and arrest you if you happen to be latino and Anglican. It will be interesting to see how they worship. Apparently, they do not use the 1940 Hymnal, and they have a worship band complete with an accordian. Now that sounds pretty cool! Maybe I should bring my banjo along.